Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hymn to Isis

For i am the first and the last
I am the venerated and the despised
I am the prostitute and the saint
I am the wife and the virgin
I am the mother and the daughter
I am the arms of my mother
I am the barren and my children are many
I am the married woman and the spinster
I am the woman who gives birth and she
who never procreated
I am the consolation for the pain of birth
I am the wife and the husband
And it was my man who created me
I am the mother of my father
I am the sister of my husband
And he is my rejected son
Always respect me
For i am the shameful and the magnificent one.

---the High Goddess of Ancient Egypt
---3rd or fourth century B.C.,discovered in Nag Hammadi

I like this poetry. Who we are really? We are interconnected in this world. All of us will pass and another will prevail. Each has their own time to shine and own time to wither.Man or woman.Brother or sister.We all need each other.Whether you can beget a child or not. Others can and the world will continue.Each of us has their own role to play.


No comments: