Thursday, May 8, 2008

World Red Cross/Red Crescent Day


I was a Red Cross Youth when i was in highschool until college,so, i never forget that May 8 is the World Red Cross Day or World Red Crescent Day in Muslim countries. I was once a very active Red Cross Youth...In fact, i had been a representative of some Red Cross Youth Congress and Conventions. It is nice to be a volunteer to any sort of humanitarian organization. I love the principles that the Red Cross adheres to. HINIVUU --- that's the seven principles that Red Cross really believe. It stands for Humanity,Independence, Neutrality,Impartiality,Voluntary Service, Universality and Unity.

Why May 8 is the World Red Cross Day? Because it is the birthday of Henry Dunant, the Swiss citizen who founded the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in 1863. Since the time that Dunant first conceived the idea of the Red Cross, the Movement has grown to become the largest international humanitarian aid organization in the world. I am very happy to be a part of this humanitarian organization during my youth. Now, even if i am not a very active "Red Crosser", deep in my heart, i still have the deep longing for service. So, little by little me and my husband see to it that we can contribute to this organization even just a little. My husband donates blood year by year... And today, i am making this post to remind everyone that today is a very important day in the world's humanitarian service.

No comments: